Home > Nothing has ever been as important as this issue in my lifetime...

Nothing has ever been as important as this issue in my lifetime...

March 7th, 2012 at 04:03 am

Stop Kony from abducting children and turning them into murderers.

This has been going on for two decades. What if it was your child...?

It only takes a couple of bucks...

We are doing this. So should you.

Text is and Link is

9 Responses to “Nothing has ever been as important as this issue in my lifetime...”

  1. momcents Says:

    President Obama has already given $40 million U.S. dollars for the "hunt" to get Joseph Korny. I'm sorry, but I believe this is a UN or a NATO issue, rather than simply the U.S.'s obligation, especially given our present economic situation.

  2. Frgal Says:

    I didn't say anything about just the U.S. doing anything...

    Also, we are in a recession, yet auto manufacturers are having record years in America... Hrm...

  3. EarlyRetirementJoy Says:

    Frugal, I'm not sure why this charity is suddenly getting so much visibility (it's all over Facebook as well) but please be aware that Invisible Children is absorbing over 65% of revenue raised on administrative expenses, leaving just 35% available for the actual cause. The bar for when a cause is considered reputable is generally 75% or more of funds raised are directed to the cause. This one is almost completely reverse, and my concern is they are drawing on people's emotions to possibly benefit themselves more than the children being shown.

    See the link below for the actual figures from Charity Navigator, a watchdog organization that monitors and compares charities:
    Text is and Link is

  4. Frgal Says:

    Locks for Love only uses about 20% of all hair received. The rest is trashed. Frown

  5. BuckyBadger Says:

    So what about locks of love? Lots of people donate hair that is inappropriate or unusable. That has nothing to do with the facts that EarlyRetirement stated.

    Are you comparing the fact that Locks of love has to trash 80% of the hair donations to the fact that the Kobe charity uses 65% of donated money for paying themselves?

    Those two facts are completely different.

    There's always a popular new charity. Why is this one the most important one in your lifetime? Why not the issue of people being kidnapped and sold into the sex slave? Or genocide in any number of countries? Or woman being killed for stepping outside their house, or sold to settle a debt that their male relatives incurred in a number of Middle Eastern countries?

    I, of course, think that what is happening is horrible, but I think it shortsighted to jump on this one bandwagon to the exclusion of all others.

  6. Frgal Says:

    @BuckyBadger -

    Their financial statements break it all down. The 35% is just a blatant lie.

    Anyways, charities are emotional involvements more than anything. I don't donate to AIDS charities because I do not have a strong emotional involvement to them. I went through this with one of my friends... "Why not donate to every single charity on the planet?" Well, frankly, I don't have that kind of money. "Why donate to this one?" Because I am emotionally-driven by this one.


  7. BuckyBadger Says:

    Well, if you are emotionally driven, then you should definitely donate to this one. The vehemence of your title just struck me as odd.

    We personally have chosen to donate on the local level to charities that we see at work every day in the community. Everyone has to make their choices because, as you so rightly say, you can't donate to every charity in the world.

  8. Frgal Says:

    Ah. The title was - admittedly - a VERY opinionated one. But hey! I'm opinionated. Wink And it got people to - hopefully - view it. Smile

  9. ceejay74 Says:

    Hi Frugal, I've been reading up on this issue today and thought of you. I think it's important to hear from people within the country as well as what Americans think is going on, and this video was very instructive:

Leave a Reply

(Note: If you were logged in, we could automatically fill in these fields for you.)
Will not be published.

* Please spell out the number 4.  [ Why? ]

vB Code: You can use these tags: [b] [i] [u] [url] [email]